I need potty training advice. Did you read any book? What age did you start? Please describe how you did it. You can email me if you want. We bought Douglas a potty chair this weekend and Travis has been having him sit and read books all weekend for like 20 min at a time but nothing. He picked out Thomas and Cars underwear. This morning Travis woke him up and sat him on the potty with milk and after 20 min Douglas peed. He hasn't sat on the potty since or told me he needs to pee. According to the signs, I'm not quite sure he's ready. However, kids are potty trained much later than in the "olden days". What's the difference? If kids did it early then, why can't they do it now?
Having a learning theme went well last week. I'm starting a different program this week so I'll post pictures of that later. Here are some shape activities we did last week.
We traced shapes with our fingers in pudding. Not as succesful as I had hoped for but different.
Used square, circle, rectangle, and triangle sponges to paint a butterfly.

Used his shape toys to dip in paint. Douglas liked this activity alot.

6 comments:
Well, we are still potty training him but we are just taking it really slow because I don't really feel like it when I'm pregnant. But he will use the potty probably at least once a day. I think the whole readiness thing is a little overdone, IMO. I think it needs to be a little readiness (like can help take off clothes and some talking) and a lot of training (like, we sit on the potty at these times every day and reading cues when they are pooping until they can read their own cues). Good luck. We've been putting Andrew on the potty off and on since he was about 18 months old.
I just waited until Alan told me he needed to use the potty (although he knew about using the potty because Emma did) and then from then on he just always used it. We did let him have a treat after using the potty, but that only lasted a few weeks and now he just uses the potty. He started using the potty about a months before he turned 3. I don't know if that helps, but I know all kids are so different that you really just have to go with you mommy instincts.
While I have no experience with potty training, my cousin-in-law (my cousin's wife) had a horrible time with her over 3 year old till she tried a specific program and had him fully trained within 3 days. She loved it so much she posted about it on her blog. There is a website to visit and you can purchase the "program" for like $20 or something there. She swears by it and she has read/studied potty training a lot as it was such a long fight for her. She swears that she has found the cure. The website is www.3daypottytraining.com. I hope it helps. Let me know if you decide to try it as I'm thinking that is what I will do for James starting this fall.
I agree with Laura, you just have to go with your instincts. In my opinion, it kind of depends on how ready YOU are and how much you want to put into it. We tried 2-3 times with Kathryn and she just didn't care and was pretty stubborn about the whole thing. And then one day she was just ready, very ready, and "training" was easy and took very little time. We did have a handful of accidents over the first week or so, but it wasn't every day and it wasn't bad.
Hannah is showing signs and interest but doesn't really understand and she is only interested because of Kathryn. If I didn't have a new baby, I might jump on it, but I'm just not ready. I am going to ease myself into it and probably start really trying in the next month.
I wouldn't force it. If you're ready, give it a good try and try hard and if it's not going well after a few days, step back and try again later. If there is improvement and you think it's working, then try a little longer. Good luck!!
(PS Kathryn was a potty trained a few months after turning 3. To me, that's pretty late, but it worked so well I wouldn't change a thing. I know Hannah will be much earlier, but mostly because she has kathryn to follow!)
Crystal. All good thoughts. As far as years past and being potty trained earlier. I heard that it was more that the parent was trained to know when to take them, but I don't know. If the child can't go, they can't go.
You do indeed need to follow your instinct. When they are ready, it will all work out. And like Sarah said, you have to be ready to, but many times, when your child is ready, you will be too.
Don't worry about it. Talk about it and prepare for it like you are with the new underwear, the potty seat, maybe even a chart.
Dr. Phil has a way you can teach them in a day and I have seen him do it, but that is Dr. Phil. :)
If you are ready I guess you could check out his method, but I really agree with Laura and Sarah.
After going through it with my own six, I don't remember struggling with it. When they were ready, we started the process and though there are some mishaps, it works out great. I think the mishaps are the training. Note it comes after they are ready.
After going through this three times (vicariously through my wife of course), I would say that no amount of training, book reading, potty training songs, potty training TV shows, etc., will make your child ready. They have to be ready on their own schedule. Every kid is different and whether they train early or late makes no difference in their ability to be responsible adults when they grow up. Gender doesn't really matter either. Just like kids crawl, walk, and talk at different ages, they all potty train at different ages too.
Have fun with it by the way. Your life is about to change again. No more waiting to get home to use the bathroom. You'll become intimately familiar with restroom locations in all the stores you go to.
Post a Comment