I've decided to start weekly themes for Douglas. Through play and crafts I want to "teach" him things. The theme for this week is shapes. We are doing a different thing each day to learn the basic shapes. Today we read Douglas' shape book and then with masking tape we made a large square, circle, and triangle on the kitchen floor. Then we "drove" Lighting McQueen, Mater, and Filmore (all from the movie 'Cars') along the shapes. Douglas mainly just pushed the cars on the kitchen floor. However, I would have Mater and say "Mater wants to drive on the triangle, show him where that is" and he would do that. It was fun playing with him. He is into the characters from the movie Cars BIG time right now. He got the blue Lighting McQueen and Filmore for Easter and he already had red Lightening McQueen and Mater so all day yesterday and for most of today so far he's been pushing his cars around. Today is Tuesday which is our day for Muffin tin meals (see previous post). So I kept with our shape theme.
Egg (circle), Milky way (square), grapes (circle), ham (cirlce attempt), cheese triangles, square crackers .
I thought the purpose of this muffin meal was in vain until at the end he held up a piece of cheese and said "look, triangle." So rewarding!

5 comments:
I'm super impressed with you. What has gotten into you? You are inspiring me to do better. I think it is great when all of a sudden they just get it and especially when we thought they weren't paying any attention. Keep up the good work!
Ha! I've always wanted to do so much with Douglas but didn't have the foggiest on how to teach a toddler. I've recently found several awesome blogs so I'm super excited.
how cute are you?!?! i love the masking tape shapes. i'm going to start using your blog as a resource for ideas because you seem to have so many!
Your teaching ideas are awesome. It's so great he noticed the shapes in his food! I'm always amazed by how much knowledge kids absorb.
What a great idea Crystal! My girls would LOVE the masking tape in the kitchen!
Post a Comment