Saturday, April 25, 2009

Create

I've always wanted to be a creative person but always thought I wasn't. I've always wanted to learn to paint and sew. I've tried a couple times but nothing really catching on. Well, the creative bug has been itching. And I saw this wonderful clip from President Uchtdorf (an apostle of our church) about creating and I thought of course I am creative (maybe not like others). It was inspiring. I was inspired. Here's the clip.


I bought a pattern and fabric for some shorts for Douglas. Before I begin, let me give a shout out to Travis. One of my biggest flaws is my lack of confidence. Travis on the other hand doesn't let other's people opinions bother him so he is a confident person. He'll try just about anything. If he messes up, no sweat. So I made him walk me through step by step the sewing pattern. I love you Travis. Thank you for having confidence in me. You ROCK.
The shorts are TOOO cute. I cut out some extra fabric and sewed it on a plain shirt to match. Harrison has a matching shirt. (Not the best picture. The shirt has the movie "cars" emblem on the sleeve.)

Do you see the little cargo pocket on his shorts? I also wanted to make him an "I spy" bag for his Easter basket. He seems uninterested in it now but hopefully in the next few months he'll get the concept of it. One side of the card has pictures of the objects (for non readers) and the other side has text. There is clear window on both sides.
Then I saw a blog that had an elephant and giraffe stuffed animal for babies. I had a baby shower THE NEXT DAY and one in the future so I went to the store and got the stuff and made it THAT NIGHT. This was my FIRST sewing project all by myself!!! I'm so proud!! I'm making one for Harrison too. One side has stripes and the other dots. The ribbon on the side are loops and Harrison loves little tags and ribbon.

Have you ever seen Bakerella's cupcake pops? Here they are. Well, a good friend and I threw another good friend a baby shower today. I wanted to make them for her baby shower as a guest favor. We did the shower in blue and brown. So here are my cupcake pops. It would be better if I had a 1 inch flower cookie cutter. Mine was 1.5inch. Anyways, I'm trying. I realize I'm copying other's creative endeavors but that's still something, right? :-)

13 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! I don't know what else to say. You are surprising me all the time. Well, I shouldn't say surprising as I know you can do anything you set out to do I just didn't know you were into so many new hobbies. I can't wait to get back and join up with you. I think those shorts are so cool. All I dare sew are rag quilts as they are so forgiving of mistakes.
And I LOVE that little giraffe! Since it is so easy to make (at least that's how you made it sound) you can make one for my #2 if you want. Hint, hint!
Keep posting all your ideas. They are inspiring me and they are all going on my list of things to do later. Especially the I Spy bag. Was that hard? It looks hard.

Stephanie said...

Wow! Talk about creative. Good job. I love the I spy bean bag. Where did you get all the stuff to make it??? I really want to know. :) I would love to make some of those. And the taggy animal is so cute! I love it. Where did you find that one? Maybe I need to go back and reread your post. :)

Crystal said...

Becky,
I have to find things to do since you're gone. :-) I'll totally make you one for #2. The I spy bag was easy, except for the eyelet. Travis broke Kari Garvins tool. :-(

Laura said...

Wow what fun. I have been feeling a bit of a creative itch (sick of making the same old same old). I want to make the giraffes and I spy bags. Do you have a pattern or did you free hand it. And I LOVE those cupcake pops.
And getting your creativity from other people still totally counts because you put your own stamp on it. Good work all around!

Crystal said...

All those things are so cute! I'm often very self-critical and have the same roadblocks. You've inspired me to pick up some new hobbies; you rock!

Jen said...

Wow, you're totally crafting it up. They all looks awesome. I hope you're confidence is up for doing projects now because you totally have bragging rights.

Lois Lane said...

I am amazed that you think you are not creative when you make amazing scrapbook pages. And don't even say you don't. You are designer! YOU ROCK!

-Laura- said...

You are super creative! I love, love, love all the projects you shared! Great job!!! You've totally inspired me to try some little shorts for Spencer now. And I've wanted to make one of those I Spy bags for years, but have just never gotten around to it. Maybe one of these days... Thanks for sharing!

kim&ryan said...

The cupcakes look so cute. I am so sad I missed it. You are the best.

Brynn said...

Thanks for posting your ideas and triumphs! I'm the same way about sewing, but those ideas look simple enough that maybe I can do them too!

Seable Family said...

I love that talk too! All your projects look great. Douglas looks so cute in his shorts.

angela said...

seriously, you are so talented! Good for you for giving stuff your best shot. They turned out great!

Hanah said...

Crystal those giraffes are soo sooo cute!!! I love it! WOW, I am way impressed about the shorts, and the cool little bean bag!! As soon as I clicked on your page, I thought wow, I LOVE your header!! This is very creative!!! and sooo cute!! Sometimes we're soo critical of ourselves. :) I think you are one way creative person, and love the ideas! I will be stealing them too. :D hahaa Thanks!!