Douglas hit a milestone today. First let me preface. I was never worried about Douglas learning things before two. I wasn't a parent to try to get my child to learn counting, numbers, colors, etc before two. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact, I wish I had done so earlier with Douglas. I just didn't see the need. Anyways, I always thought, "Oh we don't need to work on that until he's two." (This attitude was due to part pregnancy laziness). Then no sooner did he turn two that I freaked out saying, "He needs to know his colors and count to 5 and start on letters." Oh silly me. Well, we've been hitting colors pretty hard, to where he knows the main colors (M&M colors :-) and he could count objects to 4. Well, today he was counting my books and he went to four and I thought he'd stop but he mumbled something, then said 6, mumbled something, then said 8, mumbled something, then said 10. I was like, WHAT the?!?!?!?! So he did that about 4 more times. Of course he got a sucker for that!! He misses some numbers but he's got most. I regret not working with him sooner but it's okay. Also, since Friday, we've been working on letters and just as I was calling my mom to have him count to 10 for her, he pointed to the B on the bumbo chair and said BBBB (the b sound). He knows A and that it says ah and is hit or miss on 2 more but we've only been working on them since Friday. I'm so excited to see him learn!! The light bulb clicking in children's' mind is the exact reason I was a teacher. It's THRILLING!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Wow! That's great Crystal! I always knew he was a smartie pants. :)
Awesome! Way to go, Dougie!
Did you ever check that book out from the library? I just started reading it this week. (School and traveling and adjusting got in the way before.) I'm excited to get started with James as I know I will be super lazy right after the baby is born.
Keep up the good work!
Way to go Douglas!!
If you teach everything to your first child, then they can teach your other kids everything they know :) I did a lot of memory games with Dallin at that age. I made the games myself and put them on the back of juice can lids. Usually I did his favorite cartoon characters. You can also start teaching him to write the letters in his name. It helped having his name on the wall in several places. And it's really fun to do sign language to the Alphabet Song. Have fun!
Way to go Douglas! So exciting!
Hooray for Douglas! That "aha" light up moment is my favorite part of working with kids too! That's why subbing is so much fun for me.
Post a Comment