Wednesday, September 03, 2008

All Natural

Well, I got "the call" at work today.


I had spoken to Crystal at 1 pm after her morning doctor's appointment only to be disappointed like her that there was no progression (she was only dilated to 3 cm and had been for week). However at 3:30 while in a meeting my co worker came and got me. He said my phone was ringing off the hook. (I had left my cell phone at my desk). I called home to find that our friend Heather Grundei answered the phone. She said they were leaving to the hospital.


I got to the hospital first and had to wait for Crystal (I work right by the hospital, but Crystal had a 20 minute drive and she had to get Douglas situated with the Grundei's). She got here just after 4 and I pushed her upstairs. She was in a lot of pain at this point and said the contractions were about 2 to 3 minutes apart. She immediately asked the nurse for her epidural. The nurse let her know that they had to hook her up to the IVs and check her out first. However, when the nurse got her onto the bed she went to check Crystal and immediately brought her hand back out and said she was fully dilated and ready to go. But they weren't ready for her yet.

Then the room became quite full as five nurses appeared out of nowhere hooking up IVs, taking blood, hooking up monitors. Dr. Petrovski showed up and also checked her out. Crystal was still wanting her epidural. Dr. Petrovski said the only thing holding the baby in was the water sac hadn't popped. They said they didn't have time for an epidural, but said they could give her a quick shot to help with the pain. They rolled her over to position her for the shot and "pop". Water went everywhere; however, mostly on the poor nurse. It made me laugh a little. Well with that there was no more time even for the quick shot. It wasn't two minutes later and Harrison was here at 4:17.

So it was a very quick delivery. Contractions started at 2:30 and delivery at 4:17. It was all natural. What a trooper that Crystal is. I will say it didn't seem all peaceful without medicine, there were a few loud screams of pain, but it was over quick.

So now that you heard the story, here are the important details and pictures. Harrison Gulsvig Hill was 9 lbs 4 oz and measured 21 inches long. Check out the pictures below. I know he looks like most other babies, but I say he is the cutest (tied with his brother Douglas). Thanks you every one for your support through the pregnancy and for those that helped out today.
Mom and Baby
_____________________


Harrison taking his first nap as he rests under the heat lamp

27 comments:

Jessica Bybee said...

Congrats! Congrats!!! He is so handsome! I am so glad you didn't have to wait until Tuesday!
Now Dougie has someone to wrestle with. Harrison starting at 9lbs, he will be able to hold his own soon! Boys are so fun! Enjoy!

Shelley said...

Yahoo!!! He's finally here! All that sulkin' and chocolate chip cookies must have done the trick! And talk about great timing...just in time for the weekend! Congratulations!!! He is absolutely perfect!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went great.

At least you got out of work early huhn?

Stephanie Johnson said...

Yeah! I'm glad to see pictures so soon too. Congrats on a beautiful baby!

Rachel said...

Congrats.... a new baby BoomHill. Sooooo cute. Come visit so I can hold him.

Hugs!
Rachel

Brianne said...

Wow, that was quick! Congrats! What a handsome and BIG boy! So glad you didn't have to wait a single day more. Get some rest and let the fun begin!

Becky said...

...and I wake up to this! Apparently all you needed to do was eat some more so that Harrison could pack on those last couple of ounces and get a full tummy to last him through delivery. You can't blame him for wanting cookies and milk.
Congratulations! Good job on the natural part. I know it wasn't preferred or wanted but at least it didn't last too long.
Harrison's little cheecks are so cute and chubby. Thanks to Travis for posting lots of pictures. I can hardly wait for more. I only wish I could be there to kiss him and squeeze him (ever so gently). You will just have to do it for me.
I really, really wish I could be there.

Teryl said...

Congratulations. What a cute chunky baby. I'm glad everything went well.

Anonymous said...

Yippie! I'm so glad you didn't have to wait until next week! Sounds like you had a labor like me - except even faster. I'm telling you, that dialating beforehand sure makes things go faster. You are amazing and little Harrison is beautiful. Thanks for positng pictures so soon.

Sarah said...

Wow!!! What a nice surprise!!!! I can't wait to hear how the naturalness felt to Crystal! Yikes! I'm so glad he came so fast though, how awesome!! Baby and Mom look GREAT!

JMill said...

Congratulations!! So glad we got you out of your meeting Travis!! Sounds like there were only minutes to spare. He's beautiful. :) Can't wait to see him running down our cube aisle at McAfee. It will be here soon before you know it!! :) Enjoy!

Jen said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy and excited for you. I knew Crystal was one tough momma. I have to say that now that your little guy is here I'm a bit more anxious for mine to come in the next three weeks or so.

angela said...

Congrats! Glad that it went fast instead of taking all day. How funny that you were so distraught after your appt - only to go into labor hours after! We never know! Glad he's healthy and everything went well!

Tamara said...

Congratulations to the new Mama, Daddy and Big Brother! I'm so excited for you guys. What an amazing story! I can't believe it was all natural. You are for sure a hero! I can't wait to meet little Harrison and introduce him to baby Elizabeth!

Emily said...

YAY CRYSTAL! I am so excited for you, and so glad that Heather was there to help you out, it sounds like he wanted out and he wanted out NOW! Enjoy him, and relax--- it's over!

Bec said...

Congrats! He is beautiful!! And you are quite the trooper indeed!! That is amazing!

Rhonda said...

Congrats! What a cutie! Big and healthy! We will have to come see you guys sooooon!

~Jen~ said...

Aw! He's so cute! I can't believe how quick it went and he's a big guy too!

Hope you're recovery is as fast as the delivery!

Kelli Brewer said...

Congrats!!

The Rod's said...

Yeah! I'm glad he came so fast for you! I loved hearing Heather's side of the story! It cracked me up. I can't wait to hear your side as well. I'm glad Travis told us his portion of the story as well. Call me when you're ready for visitors. I would love to come check y'all out. You both look so good.

-Laura- said...

YEA!!! Congrats! I'm so happy he's finally here! He's adorable!

Mindy said...

congrats! he's precious

Stephanie said...

yay!!! I am so glad he's here!! You are such a trooper Crystal. Having a baby natural is hard! Lucky for you it wasn't too long. He's adorable. Congratulations.

Mel said...

Oh look, another Mexican baby. You look really good Crystal

Laura said...

Congrats! Cute cute BOY. Wow Crystal 9lbs 4oz all natural.. Emma was 9lbs 2oz and I was glad I had the epidural.

Blacker Blog said...

I'm so happy for you! Well, you got to experience going into labor - maybe next time you'll schedule it :)! And all natural - WOW. You joined the real woman's club without even wanting to - I haven't made that club yet. Enjoy your bundle of joy and not being pregnant anymore!

Garland's said...

Wow only 2 hours in labor! I hate you! Mine was 26. Congrats! I love the name! Cant wait to see him!