Saturday, November 18, 2006

Perfect as can be & birth story


I'm getting back some energy (don't know how) and wanted to post some new pictures of Douglas. Let's just say this week has been something else. Everytime I look at Douglas I think of how blessed Travis and I are. He is such a good baby. He's a vigorous eater, even tempered, and as cute as can be. Yesterday he had an hour plus of awake time where he just stared and was content. We took him outside in the back yard in the sun, played with him and took some pictures. Here are the latest.

Following is the delivery story: We went in at 7:15, got situated, etc. The doctor came in and I was 3 to 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced, so a good start to be induced. The nurse started me on a low dose of pitocin (this is suppose to make you have contractions). At 8:30 the doctor broke my water and had the nurse up my pitocin (said it was too low). It wasn't 3 to 4 minutes later that I felt my first contraction. People have always said its a more intense menstural cramp. I don't get menstural cramps really so I was curious to see what a contraction felt like. Boy did I quickly find that I don't like them. It was only in my left inner thigh and I now understand why people say that they just wanted their leg cut off. I spent most of my labor and delivery on my side b/c I got nauseous on my back. Travis was holding my hand with one hand and pressing my thighs together with the other because during each contraction my legs went shaking like crazy! I hated them shaking like that and told him to hold them so they weren't balistic. Around my 4th contraction I was asking for an epidural. The nurse checked me and I was 5 cm dialted. They weren't keen on giving me an epi. that soon so they gave me a pain medicine called Newbane (not sure on spelling). It was supposed to just take the edge off but I couldn't tell anything. So a little later I asked for the epi. and the nurse checked me and I was 7 cm 100% dilated so I got an epi. Oh my gosh, it is heaven! I didn't hurt when they did it and I can't imagine delivery without it. The pain was gone just an intense pressure. Finally I got the okay to push. I pushed 1 1/2 hours of my 4 hour labor. They said the labor would have been shorter if Douglas was turned the right way. He was face up instead of face down. Overall I'd say it was good labor. I'm surprise at how well I've recovered in suck a quick time. I'm just glad my beautiful baby is here!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! Congrats on the baby AND the short labor! Don't push yourself! Enjoy him!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little boy! I love having a boy! They are so much fun! I am so glad that all is well! Take care!

Donna said...

Crystal..brings back memories. Glad they are memories as sweet as they were.

I am glad you did so well and you are already blogging again!! Isn't it wonderful!!!

I can't wait to see the cutie!!

Sarah said...

I'm glad it went well and that you are recovering so well! I will try to call you on Thanksgiving sometime so we can get together and see our babies together! It is fun that our babies are just a few days apart! I can't wait to see little Douglas.

-Laura- said...

He is such a handsome little boy! Glad you were finally able to get an epidural, I'm all about the drugs! Hope you're taking it REALLY easy!

Brianne said...

He's way too cute! Glad to hear you're recovering quickly. I totally agree with you on the epidural thing and sorry to hear they kept you waiting. That happened to me too - they broke my water and then the contractions were horrible, but I had to wait for my IV to finish or some nonsense like that before I could get the epi which I finally did an hour and a half later. My labor was much longer than yours though - I still can't believe how fast you went this being your first time and all! Your next one will probably just fall right out! If only it could ever be that simple. Anyway, congrats again, and enjoy your sweet little guy.

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! I got your blog site off of Amanda's (It's Jessica Bjorn --Hopewell). Anyways, congratulations!!!I'm so glad I got to see these pictures of you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Congrats you guys! He's a cutie! Thanks fo much for letting me know about the pics/site!