Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

My principal gave us our TAKS results back today. In case you forgot what TAKS is (that means you haven't talked to me in the last 2 months), it is the humongous state test that Texas gives. Every lesson, homework, and assignment is designed with the TAKS in mind. There is only one thing bigger than the TAKS test in Texas schools, and unfortunately, it's football. Now I know you're thinking, "so..what are the results?" It would lose all effect if I simply told you. I need to refresh your memory on the kind of children I'm working with here. I was told by the principal, master and mentor teacher that I had the lowest 4th grade class to start with. My principal calls them "dregs". Here is the percent of passing for all their math benchmarks. 29%, 60%, 38% and 53%. These benchmarks are formulated to ask TAKS like questions and be as accurate as possible. My reading was not better. If you remember writing, they were grammatically slow (that's the nice way to say it) and as choppy with their sentences as waves beating against the shore. My principal and 4th grade team saw little hope for them. Now that you have an idea, here are the results. Drumroll please..................................

Writing: total 4th grade 100%
Reading: total 4th grade 83% my class 80%
Math: total 4th grade 91% my class 82%

I'm soooo proud of my class. This is truly outstanding for them. What do you say? Are you impressed or what?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin,
I'm not surprised as you have a way with children and always make things fun for them even learning! Those kids are very lucky to have had you this year. I love you!
Mom

~Jen~ said...

GREAT JOB! It must be so rewarding to see results like these!

Anonymous said...

Holy Hannah Crystal that is amazing! It sounds like you are really enjoying working with the class, and that hard work has paid off...that is awesome-good work!!!

Sarah said...

That is great! You must be such a good teacher for those kids! Way to go!