We had a great Thanksgiving. The break and time with family was much needed. We slacked off Thurs., Fri., and Sat. It was great though. We have had two house guests since Tuesday evening. I had to bring home my 2 hermit crabs from school since the break is 5 days. I didn't take home the aquarium they live in so they have been living in a angel food cake plastic dish. They hate it. For Christmas, I definitely have to bring home the aquarium. I have a big red one and a small Caribbean one. The red one is very active. He tries to escape often. He is a climber.
Well , Wed. night we went to have dinner with my parents. When we came home we checked on the crabs and found only 1 there. The lid was on but not snapped on. I thought, no way could he climb out without the lid falling off. He must be buried under the sand. I started digging around and he wasn't. So Travis and I searched the living room. While Travis searched the bathroom, I walked into the bedroom and there he was in the middle of the floor. This was quite the accomplishment for him, considering the cage was on the kitchen table and he would have had to fall off the table and walk 10 feet. 10 feet is a lot for a crab. We quickly put him in the cage and set 2 food cans on the cage so he won't be able to pop off the lid. They must really hate it there b/c the red one is feisty now. Usually when you pick them up they hide in their shell. Now the red one fights you.
On Thursday we set both on the living room floor and let them walk around and explore. It's fun to watch. Last night we made a large rectangle on the carpet with boxes and set them in it while we watched the movie. They loved it.
Here is some pictures of the red crab trying to get out of the angel food cake dish.


This is when we first bought the crab. There is no sand in it. This week there has been sand in it.

No comments:
Post a Comment