I went in Tuesday the 20th to be induced. My due date was the 21st or 22nd. I went in before my due date because my labors are so fast and we wanted to make sure I had plenty of time at the hospital. I was very uncomfortable and irritable the last couple weeks, more than I was with the other 3.
We were there by 6am and I was 4 cm dilated. I wanted my water broken to start labor. I wanted to avoid pitocin (which I did). So the doctor broke my water at 7:35am. When she did her exam she said, "The head is small. I don't think he'll be very big, maybe 8.5lbs". I said, "Really? I feel like he's big, like he takes up the whole space." She said he probably was then b/c she trusts the moms feelings.
The anesthesiologist gave me a combined spinal/epidural. I'd never had one before and it was uncomfortable. After that I laid down on my back. They wouldn't let me turn and I got nauseous and dizzy fast. So the nurse waved the salts or something under my nose and the anesthesiologist put some other medicine in my iv. After a couple of minutes I felt good, real good. I was warm and sleepy and perfectly fine. The contractions came fast and were like 1.5 to 2 min apart and I didn't feel a thing. After about 30 min they slowed down to 2.5 min apart. The nurse was helping in another room and it seemed like she was hardly there. I wanted this baby by 9:45 so it could be another 2 hour labor but I felt so good that I also though, "oh let me enjoy this a little longer." ;-) It was probably at 9:30 that some feeling came back and I became aware of the contractions. Travis and I were wondering what was going on, how dilated I was etc. At about 10 the contractions were uncomfortable but not painful and they moved down so it was heavy in my bum so we called her in. I was a 10 and she had me do a test push. She said she'd call the doctor. The doctor was coming from another hospital so we had to wait about 10 extra minutes and by then I could really feel it and thought I probably should be pushing. Then the doctor came in ready to go.
She changed her opinion and said the head was big and that she was going to have to cut. Anyways, I probably pushed for 10-15 minutes. I did have a mirror to watch but between my legs, the doctors shoulder, and closing my eyes during the pushing, I didn't see his head come out. I saw his head in the opening but that was it. He came out sunny side up. The doctor said his chin was pointed up and his head was the only thing that kept him in. He was born at 10:37 am so overall a 3hr labor. When she pulled him out the doctor and the nurses were commenting on how big he is. I held him for a little bit and then they took him away. They first announced his length which didn't surprise me b/c it felt like he took up the whole area. Then they took guesses on the weight. All along I was thinking maybe he'd be 9lbs 6oz. The doctor guessed 10lbs 2 oz and then they announced he was 10lb 3 oz and I was shocked.
The below picture is my face when they announced it.
He nursed the first day really well. 30 min on one side and 10-15 min on the other. Today has been bad b/c he just wants to sleep. I hope he wakes up more to eat. I'm a little worried about his weight loss. The boys love him. My back is sore and I'm tired.
He didn't have a name the first day b/c we weren't sure if we wanted it to be Talmage Rexford or Rexford Talmage. I tried calling him each and Talmage felt better than Rex. Why Talmage? When I was 9 weeks pregnant I was at church and heard a quote from James E. Talmage and had an experience unlike any I've had before. Rexford is Travis' grandfather's name.
I know many people don't like the name Talmage. I don't quite understand why. It's like Harrison to me. It's a last name as a first name. Travis says, "Its not like it's 'Apple' or something like that."
Talmage Rexford Hill
10 lbs 3oz
21.5 in long
10:37 am
I only include this picture because when I look at this picture I can't believe all that was inside of me. Well, of course I can b/c it was very uncomfortable but geesh it's weird to think that all of that baby fit inside me.




No comments:
Post a Comment