Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hands full

Last week I was at the store w/ the boys, no different than usual, except this time I changed up the seating arrangements.  I was wearing Luke while pushing Douglas and Harrison in the massive 3 seater cart at walmart.  I got so MANY stares, like I was crazy for having 3 kids.  Seriously, so many people were staring at me.  Maybe I had something on my bum.  Who knows.  An employee stopped me and went on about me having 3 boys and them looking like me and not being able to pawn them off on someone else b/c they look like me.  I've been told that Chinese think it's good luck to have boys or something like that and that I should go to heaven automatically for having all boys.  I'm down with that.  What is it about boys that make people say, "Oh, you have your hands full."  Do they say that to other people with all girls or boys and girls?  I do have my hands full but mostly from this little dude

Oh Harrison, you are a lively child.  He wears his mood and feelings on his face, just like his momma.  There is no mistaking how he feels.  And the lungs this kids has.  Holy moly he is LOUD!!!!!  He is still figuring out what gentle means when it comes to Luke.  He LOVES Luke so much and always is touching him but he's overwhelming which often translates to rough. 
Douglas can be overwhelming too when it comes to Luke but he is gentle.  Douglas is my mild manner child.  The other day the boys were throwing a toy and racing to grab it.  Of course Douglas was faster.  On his own, Douglas let Harrison get to it first and say, "You won Harrison."  Harrison would laugh and come up to me and say, "I weally (really) happy."  That repeated over and over.  I pointed out to Douglas how happy he was making Harrison by letting him "win".  He was surprised that he was the source of Harrison's happiness and said it made his heart feel good.  Douglas is an excellent big brother and I wouldn't want anyone else to be the oldest of the siblings.

Little Luke is a gift.  (they all are.)  He is the smiliest baby and coos up a storm.  It might be just my imagination but it seems like he lights up when I talk to him.  He is such a good baby.  The other night was his first bad night and he's nearly 4 months old.  It was only bad b/c he is sick.  We all love him.  He makes my heart melt. 
Yep, I definitely have my hands full but in a good way.

7 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

I get that comment AT LEAST ONCE when I take all 4 of my kids. One lady even said that under her breath to me and I chose to ignore her (I get a little annoyed when they say that to me). Then she cornered me and in an accusing voice asked me if they were really all mine. Uh, yes they are! She really didn't believe me though. Even when the kids are good, tons of people tell me that my hands are full. I've brainstormed on responses...but still need a good one. :)

Jen said...

Full hands, happy heart! :)

Sarah said...

Yeah, people tell me that ALL the time!!! I don't even know how to respond.

They are so precious!

Brynn said...

Yea, I get that, too, and I've just got girls. Is it weird to have more than one kid under the age of 5? I've started to wonder that, but maybe people just don't know what else to say, though why they say anything is beyond me.

Andrea said...

I think the best response I have ever heard to the knee-jerk comment of "your hands must be full" is to sweetly respond, "better than empty"

Anna Smith said...

I always had people tell me to enjoy them while I can and that it goes by too fast. I must have heard that at least 20 times while I was in Texas. Maybe 30. I wonder if they said that because I had an exasperated or tired or frustrated look on my face! It was tri cky taking four kids to the grocery store! Anyways, I am sure they were staring at you and your boys because they are so stinking cute. I mean really, who wouldn't want to stare at such cute kids?

Melissa said...

I get it too, my response is always "yep, and my heart is full too."