Friday, May 21, 2010

Poll

I have a little poll for all you mommies.  Has there been any extended period of time (more than just a day or two) that you have not enjoyed being a mom?  If so, what were the ages of your children?  This has been a rough 6 weeks for me.  I was relieved to ask a friend if she's always enjoyed being a mom and after pausing she said no and it was probably when her boys were my boys' ages.  I'm still trying to decipher why its been so rough.  I have some ideas.  Anyways, I was just wondering.

9 comments:

Brynn said...

Up until Angie was about 3 months old were pretty rough, but I'm sure that's standard. She was a good baby, but the loneliness and fatigue were hard, and I had to mentally coach myself to Wednesday each week, because then the week was almost over and I would have more help. I think I cried at least once a week. There's a reason they call this the hardest job in the world, and if you're a good mom, like you are, it's even harder.

Jessica Baird said...

Yes, and I know we're supposed to have hard times to appreciate the good and it can be what we learn from the hard times that makes them worth it and necessary (am I being too preachy? sorry). I hope things change for you soon and you're definitely not alone!

Amanda said...

The first year for Andrew was SO hard and I didn't like it at all. I am also not a big baby person. I have really only started really enjoying being a mom since having Seth, but I think that is because I finally got my post-partum depression under control. I think the most helpful part about counseling was realizing that it was okay if I didn't enjoy most parts of being a mother at that time. And that it was also okay to take a long time (even years) to adjust to being a mom.

Melissa said...

Sadly, that's a decisive no. The hardest times for us have been right after Christmas this year, so around 28 months and 53 months and I think it stretched for at least 2 months, but could say for sure. We certainly go through phases, but I think there are internal thongs that continute, like my own feelings of isolation or sickness in pregnancy (also aspects of being a mom). Honestly, if someone said that they never had periods of not liking their job, I'd say "yeah right"! Being a mom can bring unparalelled joy, but as the scriptures say, you wouldn't know joy without pain along the way!

Unknown said...

Oh man Crystal I feel your pain. Emma and Alan have been really hard for me the last few weeks.

Grandma said...

Just a FYI......I LOVE being a Grandma! I have thee best grandchildren!

Lois Lane said...

Kenzi was absolutely difficult, like anting to return her from18 months to about 3 1/2 years old. It really wasn't until I should could understand reason a little bit that made it better! But I absolutely LOVE where she is now. We play alot and I can talk to her about her behavior. It will get better my firend!

Teryl said...

I've been at this mom stuff for almost 16 years, and I can honestly say there have been times throughout it when it has been anything but a positive experience. There have been long weeks and even months of frustration and monotony. And I'm not sure that I can pin it down to specific ages of my children. I think if I were to pin it down, I would have to say the worst times for me were when I was tired and worn down. I always found that taking some time to myself to rest, and refocus on why I had chosen to be a mother and what I wanted to accomplish was very beneficial. And to step away from the routine and take time to enjoy the really small stuff. I think routines are great, but after awhile they bog us down.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that there was a phase when the girls were 2 and 3.5 that I really wished I could just drop them off at daycare. After Julia turned 3, she started getting more independent, could dress herself, communicate better, and play with her sister for periods of time...it got better, and I enjoyed being at home more. Then the boys came....We are approaching "that time." 18-2.5 is so hard, because they need soooo much attention and are getting into everything, and don't quite understand NO. Good luck girl!
Kelly S.