I started the 4th book in the Twilight series Monday night and finished it just now. I was worried b/c a friend called Saturday saying that the reviews were awful. I think the book was okay. Now, I want to talk about it so I'm going to leave a comment to start the conversation. If you have NOT read Breaking Dawn then do NOT look at the comments. Spoilers are all over the comments.
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
The following was my one desire for this book: Bella & Edward get married, Bella & Edward are intimate while she's still human, and Bella becomes a vampire.
So you'd think I'd love this book b/c my wishes came true. But somehow the whole baby thing seems just slightly too perfect and happy of an ending to me. I don't like how the rest of the Cullens don't get much time from the author. I wanted more of them. I do feel like Edward and Bella got plenty of the authors attention so I don't feel jipped by that. I also think that Meyers did a good job of building up Bella & Edwards' love more. I could have never imagined them loving each other more than they did so I was surprised that Meyers could go further. They seem even more in love in this book. I do NOT care for Jacob imprinting on Nessie. I had hoped that he would imprint in this book but again, it's just a little to perfect of an ending and kind of creepy to me. And I wish they would have killed the Volturi. And I'm happy that Bella's gift is her shield and adapting to vampire life so well. Overall, I'd give this book 3.5 stars.
Okay, if I really think about it, there was a good amount of Edward and Bella's relationship in there, but I feel like it was really shadowed in the whole middle part of the book by the baby. The baby thing, while I saw it coming (with the dreams and the chicken) totally threw me off and I didn't like it much. I'm more okay with it now than I was, but still. And, as soon as that happened, I just knew Jacob was going to imprint on her. And while it didn't gross me out, it was too much for me... I mean, making him way too much a part of Bella's life. She didn't feel for him as a vampire like she had before, and I knew once he imprinted he wouldn't feel the same either, so anyone would've worked. I don't know. I think I need to reread parts of it again a little slower. The very very end was definitely my favorite.
Well I was a little disappointed with the book too. I was hoping Jacob would imprint on Leah or something like it not the baby. I mean honestly she is still half vampire so wouldn't she still stink to him? I liked the last 1/3 of the book and the rest of it was just ok.
Well, I must admit that none of it bugged me. I guess that is cuz I always keep my expectations low (except with Jane Austin) and so I am usually pleased by the end. I didn't mind the baby thing or even Jacob imprinting on her, although, it was kinda obvious what was going to happen. I think she left it open with the Volturi so that later she could revisit them and still have some unfinished conflict to resolve.... It could happen.
I just liked the whole book. I was wondering how Alice was coming back and I'm glad that went well. Overall, it was just an enjoyable read.
So I'm a little behind. I liked the book pretty well. I agree that the whole Jacob imprinting on Bella's daughter is a little creepy, but overall I liked it. I was so psyched for a huge war with the Volturi and was definitely disappointed when that didn't happen but I suppose that would have made the book really really long. I agree with the 3.5 stars.
I'm slow, but I just finished. I was disturbed by the graphic nature of Edward and Bella's honeymoon. I felt that it was just going too far. My opinion comes from the fact that my 13 year old daughter wants to read the books, and I was not happy about her being exposed to these ideas. I think the story would have carried just fine without the details.
My other opinion is that while this book was entertaining, it was not well written. I think Stephanie Meyer could have cut at least 100 pages by tightening things up.
My thirteen year old had this response..."JK Rowling proved that it was possible to write a book over 500 pages long. Stephanie Meyer proved that not every author should."
I think I have to agree.
Breaking Dawn was alright, but I have to say that my favorite of the four was Eclipse. Breaking Dawn was good, but it was so dang predictable! I suppose I should have expected it. All of her books follow the same rythym. I guess I just expected more of a conflict in the end. I felt like she did a good job building up to the fight and then it just sort of fizzled out. How lame! No one died? That's just a little too perfect. I mean, I'm happy that Bella and Edward live happily ever after- and they get the baby too- and they are both hot- and they have millions of dollars- and they have hot sex all night long (dude- what was up with the part where they started laughing and it "did funny things to their bodies and that was the end of that conversation"- that seemed a little too forced and akward). But it all ended a little too perfectly. And it totally creeps me out that Jacob imprinted on the monster baby. Does the baby have no choice? Did I mention that it's a baby? Weird... Overall, I was dissapointed in this book. When I first started reading the book I was ready for it to be over. I think after reading some 3000 pages of Bella and Edward's life together, I'm ready to move on- which is good right? Because that means I have finally stopped dreaming about vampires.
Oh and I second the opinion earlier given that while the story is entertaining (except when monster baby scenes are included where any babies are eaten from the womb with vampire teeth) the writing isn't so great. The editor should have been a lot more liberal with the little red pen.
Post a Comment