Monday, January 15, 2007

2 months

Douglas went to the doctor this last Thursday for his two month checkup. He weighs 12lbs 4 oz (75%) and is 23 3/4" long (75-90%). He was a champion during the shots! As soon as I picked him up his cry turned to a whimper and quickly disappeared. I was very happy that it wasn't a huge ordeal.

Today Douglas is 9 weeks old and I've been waiting for 3 weeks to see a social smile. He smiles but it is either in a sleepy state or accompanied with gas. Yesterday and even today I got smiles so I listened for the gas but nothing. However, when I did the things again that I thought might have caused the smiles I got nothing. Baby center said at 6 weeks to expect them any day and I haven't really gotten anything. I've also been waiting for him to start cooing, etc. He makes sounds and does some coos but I remember when my brother was visiting with his 2month old that she was cooing up a storm when spoken to. My mom said that boys are usually late developers. So, for all of you with boys, when did they start the obvious social smiles and cooing like crazy?

This is just a random video I took with my camera to send to Travis, who is out of town. I thought since I have it why not share it. It's not much, but what can you expect from this age? Actually, it makes me wonder why we talk to babies this way. We sound ridiculous, and he doesn't look very amused!! :-)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Aww how cute! I know if children knew better (at least mine) they would think I was absolutely crazy... with all the ways I talk and all the silly things I do. He's getting so big. If it makes you feel any better, my father-in-law was just here and he said babies usually don't talk much just yet (he's a doctor and sees lots of babies!), so I wouldn't worry about Douglas.

-Laura- said...

He is so sweet! I'm sure Daddy loved seeing him. We've been taking lots of videos lately, and I always laugh at how funny I sound on it.

People have told me that boys are slower too especially socially, but I don't believe that. I think they just develop on their own schedules. As soon as he starts baby talking he'll be talking up a storm!

~Jen~ said...

Just remember that all the "dates" that books and websites throw out are just the AVERAGE number. It means some babies do things earlier and some later. Don't get hung up on exactly what the books say a baby should do by however many weeks, and remember we're all individuals - even babies.

Zach and Codi said...

I think that talking to little babies is fine as long as the voice does not go up into a higher register, (which thankfully you are not doing) He is getting bigger and cuter.